Narrative Brief- A New Way of Looking

A new way of looking is the part of the brief where we look into a film, the creation and research of such a film that develops the idea of expanding on something that people don't usually notice. We have finalised 3 main ideas with photographic research which we will then cut down into a main idea to film.

Idea 1- Water
For the ideas to commence, it was suggested that perhaps we should go for a walk, as there we would stumble across unknown objects or sources of inspiration. For my walk I decided to venture into the High Peak, to see the rural surroundings and what ideas they would present to me.
Water was my first initial idea, an idea that transpired from an initial idea that I had thought of when being briefed, this idea was to film an eye blinking horizontally, and then to flip it vertically to reveal the wings of a bird flying, mimicking the arch of the eyeball. I believed this idea was inspirational with the idea of representing things that everyone doesn't necessarily see within each other.
This then revealed an idea of making such connections within something more that I could control, such as water.
I began by taking quick shots of water in small streams that passed by me, inspired by the behaviour of the water that reminded me of water in other formats, such as water I saw in a field's trough for the cattle, showed similarities to things such as cups of tea, which I then decided to photograph as a possible link.
This then inspired me into looking at more vast
areas where water was present, not just in small puddles or cups of tea, but in vaster areas such as rivers and waterfalls. The waterfall in particular was most inspiring, as it produced an abundance of foam, which I found interesting as it reminded me of boiling water in a pan, the foam rising from the heat, whereas in this form was simply being pelted by the action of the water.

Idea 2- Trails
An additional idea that I had produced is the idea of trails, I like the intricate idea that there are fragments of trails left behind, only to be found and a narrative being possessed within them. I went to the Peak District, into a nature pathway that is also a route used for off roading, therefore it was a rich hive of tracks and trails that each include their own storyline. The rough grooves and depths in the mud and dirt simply tells its own story, the weight of the vehicle or use of trail, the speed etc.

Idea 3- Lines
This idea which was built on during the Courtyard brief, was the idea of following line elements building up to a mosaic of line implications.

Wind Idea.

Upon learning to interpret new ideas from old ones, I went for a walk to try to decide on the idea I'd like to select. However, I was pleasantly surprised to be inspired by two pieces of paper floating in the wind, almost personified and seeming to dance, and I was inspired by the small but elegant movement that they created through the aspect of the wind. The actual litter itself danced and interacted well with each other and I decided that there was something in that idea.
I went out to film the litter on a very windy day, but found it pretty difficult to capture the moments naturally rather than forced movements, so in order to do so, I placed the litter freely and allowed it to move by itself rather than anticipating chasing litter that happened to be there. In addition, when collecting alternate videos of the litter, I began filming other fragments I noticed that were too effected and manipulated by the aspect of the wind. Therefore I decided to take advantage of the high depth of focus within the camera and film different things blowing in the wind such as hair, pieces of plants, dust, leaves etc. and to generally create a nice, calm atmosphere.

Due to the filming of litter being quite unpredictable, it was an important element to ensure that they all worked well, each shot from selective angles, as I wanted a form of closeness to be present within the piece, such as the close shot angles I produced of the leaves slightly swaying from the wind and how this is impacted overall.
When editing the clips together, I ensured that there was a slight blend of textures to ensure a calming transition between the clips, something that was an important element for me to include at this time. Such as the feather merging into the hair etc. These transitions really added strength to the piece as it allowed the overall composition to flow well together. In addition to this, I tried a few testers with sound before adding final clips of sound to the piece, my first initial plan was to produce my own Foley using a variety of objects, however, the outcome was not favourable in my opinion, as the objects looked rather odd in comparison to the sounds, and it also created more of a tense atmosphere rather than a relaxed one, something I wanted to avoid. Therefore, in conjunction to this, I decided to include sound effects of relaxing elements which I would then combine together to produce an overall relaxing composition. 

In accordance to this, I watched through the edited clip that I had produced and looked and planned what effects would work as I went through the composition. It occurred to me that the following interactions and links would work well for the composition overall.
  • How to establish the idea of wind without using a manipulation of wind itself- my idea- use calming swayed sounds, such as wind chimes and pipes, which cause mellow, clinking movement sounds which are often related to wind. Also perfect music to represent relaxation with the instruments often used in relaxing activities such as meditation. 
  • I noticed the animalistic references that occurred in the composition which I decided I could successfully establish further such as the feather being represented with bird songs, whereas I also decided to pair up slight movements of dust and leaves to the howling of wolves, something I noticed when looking through the clips. The leaves looked like wolves raising their heads to the sky to howl. Using the similar movement in the composition with the clip of the sound effect of wolves howling, I believe that they went well in co-ordination with each other.
  • Storm sounds and rain were added for the movement of some of the litter, I added this as storms are unpredictable and manipulated by the surroundings, which is the same for the litter filmed therefore establishing a clear connection between the two. 









No comments:

Post a Comment