The Microsoft Infinity Room.

14/01/15
Upon mind mapping my overall ideas and producing a visual representation of my initial ideas in my sketchbook (compilations of sketches and photographs extracted from the internet to represent my first thoughts on Void. Life. Void, and what I interpret in my first thoughts on the subject, when producing this search of visual representations on the internet, I stumbled across the idea of infinity, one of my bullet points I first listed when being briefed. Mankind's want for immortality when death stares them in the face, the aspect of infinity wanting to remain throughout their existence but not being in their grasp.
The installation involves an ominous audio narrative whilst the viewer stands in a dark mirrored room with a string of lights around them. Almost transporting the viewer into an alternate reality is something that particularly interested me as I began to question due to this brief, what constitutes to being animation, surely moving a viewer's state of mind into a different world contrives to being a form of animation.
 The installation produced by the Roundhouse Agency, was a commissioned piece by Microsoft, to immerse potential customers and viewers into an alternate reality, showing them the infinity of the data that life could consume. It has a futuristic sense, and it really appealed to me due to past experiences with installations.

At an exhibition I visited of local artist, there was an artist who produced an installation named 'Through the Keyhole' made to look like a  victorian wooden door in a cube shape, the viewer had to crouch down and look through the keyhole in order to see a view that was described as 'What the Butler saw' The artist had tried to imagine and creatively capture an alternate reality for  a viewer, so that the scene inside resembled a Victorian set up of a room, furthermore developing my thoughts of how animation should be captured. Surely transporting the viewer into a different world in a secluded installation will highlight their own thoughts.
 For my further exploration, I'd like to look more into how to seclude the viewer so that they can interpret their own meaning of life and their own infinity in their own way. Artists such as Mark Rothko who I've previously studied in a past subject is an artist that I think successfully captures this, it's said that Rothko's pieces can emotionally move the viewer in their own reality, having completely different effects on the viewer in person than just through photographs of the pieces.
 Kris spoke in our briefing mentioned an installation to her that really moved her and made her feel on edge, due to the positioning of the installation and the space it was placed in, it emotionally intrigued those immersed in it, a trait that I'd also like to represent in my future work.






No comments:

Post a Comment