Void. Life. Void. -The Introduction.

Wednesday 14th January 2015
After having had been introduced to the aspect of the new integrated project, 'Void. Life. Void.' I found the idea of the project intertwining with the aspect of Existentialism or The Parable of the Madman, due to being absent in the first session of the project, I was briefed and informed on what I had missed out on.
Through mind mapping alternate ideas in my sketchbook, it gives me a stronger sense of understanding of the project, listing the initial thoughts has made me feel more confident with the relevant points that could be referred to the theme given.
Initially when I think of Void. Life. Void. my mind strips away the complex visuals and first related the aspect of tone that I firsthand link to the void and life, that being black and white. Black being a representation of the unknown for me, an aspect of darkness whilst white being related as a light theory of enlightenment, this all coming from the Western culture I am surrounded by. An interesting idea could be to maybe look at what colours are used for other cultures worldwide? How would my installation initially impact them? If the installation swayed too far from the Western culture set here, would we still understand the implications of it? All things to consider here.

The underlying links to Void. Life. Void. are the aspects of enlightenment and existentialism.

Enlightenment- A European intellectual movement of the late 17th and 18th centuries emphasizing reason and individualism rather than tradition. It was heavily influenced by 17th-century philosophers such as Descartes, Locke, and Newton, and its prominent figures included Kant, Goethe, Voltaire, Rousseau, and Adam Smith. (Definition extracted from Google Search Engine)
Existentialism- A philosophical theory or approach which emphasizes the existence of the individual person as a free and responsible agent determining their own development through acts of the will.

No comments:

Post a Comment