Installation Overview

9th February 2015
As part of my research into the impact of the installation, I decided to collect some opinions of my peers and persons I have shared my installation with before the display on Wednesday. These opinions will provide me with a further insight of what effect the piece will have once displayed and who in fact will link it to the theme. I asked selected peers in my class to review the installation after experiencing it, here are the results:

"When I experienced the infinity box installation I found that it was very effective in creating a sensation of a never ending experience for the time you are listening and watching it. However I found that it also gave me a sense of entrapment into this unlimited void of infinity, as you can see the never ending repetition of the moving images traveling far into the background of the box and so far that you cant see how far it actually goes on for, giving a sense of no end and no stopping to this experience however also the colors used in the animation are cold colors and not so lively and again gives a feeling of hostility almost, a place void of emotion or warmth. This is then further emphasized by the cold robotic voice speaking through the head phones, lacking emotion. All of these things combined gave me an experience of never-ending and emptiness which related back to this idea of an infinite void. However the script of the void speaking through the headphones was full of emotion and deep thought. This contrasted with the empty never ending experience However the some of the things in which the voice spoke of again only added to the experience of loneliness “existence is a dark void of wonder, as obscure as the shadows that cascade through your skull” this made the experience a more personal one. Overall the experience I had was that this display was showing me a personal journey through a never ending void. Only one individual at a time can see or hear this display and so it makes it a private journey that you can only have alone. Similar to the journey through the void at death. The cold emotionless feeling and atmosphere I experienced could be connected to the emotions of death and so exaggerated this idea of traveling trough the void."
-Rachel Fielding (Motion Design peer)

"When viewing the installation I was able to embrace the meaning of void life void thanks to the the images that were being shown along with the specific voice that had been chosen. It was like I had captured a glimpse of an entrance to another world." 
- Beth Ward (Illustration BA Hons)

The use of the mirrors gave a very effective illusion of the void going on for eternity and coupled with the altered voice it was very unsettling. I felt that I was forced to confront the void as it was ready to swallow me up.
- Gwen Young (Illustration, BA Hons)

When I looked through the hole and put the headphones on, I felt like I could express by own thoughts on the meaning of void life void without any distractions because I was the only one that could see and hear what was going on. I think everyone who viewed it saw something different as they have their own views on the topic even though they were hearing and seeing the same thing thanks to the mesmerizing images and robotic voice.
- Hazel Robinson (Illustration, BA Hons)
I thought your ideas and the way you communicated void life void was really immersive and captured the never ending cycle, the constant peeping hole into the unknown was a really interesting take on the subject and was my favourite of them all.
- Adam Reddall (Illustration, BA Hons)
 On the group reflection of the alternate reactions to the brief, a lot of my peers were in favour of the piece created, here are a few ideas and points people made about my work:

  • It had an intimidating feel to it, but in a positive way as it secluded you.
  • Voice sounded knowledgable, tells the future, sounds informative- further suspense.
  • Bold and abstract shapes in animation look ominous
  • Isolates you with the earphones and staring into box- makes you feel alone
  • Feels like you're really staring into a void that goes on forever
  • "Cleverly put together, really cool effect created"




No comments:

Post a Comment