Composition- Static

Monday 29th September 2014
Composition itself is the positioning of particular subjects to produce an alternate effect. During the opening briefing, it has been made clear that the composition of certain layouts can be altered and in doing so produces a whole new ambience.


The following words I have researched more thoroughly:


Euphoric
  • Tranquil- Circles, spirals, gentle curves. Amicable, balmy, calm, relaxed, laid back, chilled out, easygoing, placid, composed, sedate, serene.
  • Threatening- Sharp Angles, perhaps triangles and sharp edged shapes, pentagons etc. Other related words: dominant, aggressive, scowling, impending, bullying, terrorising, looming etc. Opposites include- far, remote, distant, peaceful
  • Uncomfortable- Curved edges, intruding shapes and patterns.
  • Euphoric- dreamy,
  • Heavy- block colours, weighty, powerful, tough
  • Precarious- unbalanced, on edge, uncertain
  • Tense- almost touching, close encounters
  • Overwhelmed- surrounded by objects, on top of you, crushing etc.
  • Secure- put in place, safe, lines, blocks.
  • Light- free, happy, spacial.
  • Claustrophobic-confined, stuck
  • Sedate- chilled out, tranquil, peaceful
Heavy
Claustrophobic
I found the overall aspect of these compositions quite challenging, the fact that I had to try to represent a word without illustrating a scene or picture was highly intimidating at first, but was later more of a comfortable choice to have made. I started to try to section out what shapes would benefit which word, allowing my imagination to be widened to what was the best overall composition for this brief. Understandably, I decided to think of simple ideas at first, as even through the briefing of the project I knew that the best way for me to achieve these words to start of with would be to introduce some simple ideas, simple shape forms and thickness of different lines. The aspect of the word 'Heavy' for example was one of the first pieces to be explored, I selected some of the larger and bolder shapes for this composition to first of all represent what I considered to symbollise heavy, I think that the first thing to spring to mind is the idea of boldness for the shape, in order to be heavy I wanted it to be a composition that was eye catching.
Light
Overwhelmed
Sedate
Shapes were just as important as lines in this compositional task, I keep trying to produce pieces where the lines secure the meaning such as the words like Tranquil where I am just using the wavy line, I'm liking the fact that the wavy line leads the eye across the page, showing that even the position of shapes can completely change a composition.
Secure
Precarious

Tense
Tranquil

Threatening
Uncomfortable



No comments:

Post a Comment