Manchester Art Gallery

 Friday 12th September 2014

We ventured out to Manchester Art Gallery to study the exhibition that was taken place, we were told to allow independently our inspirations take hold, taking notes of any pieces that particularly stood out to us, listing the title of the pieces and why they interest us. I found it quite relaxing and inspiring looking through the exhibition but with extra analysis that wouldn't normally take place in a passive format. I liked the freedom of the choice of our own pieces, allowing us to pick and decide what pieces are the most effective, meaning that the ones I selected were a variety of media, both 2 and 3 dimensional pieces. We were told to select a few that interested us, and one main piece that we found the most inspiring. 

Euston Steps- Frank Auerbach- 1980-81
Euston Steps- Frank Auerbach- 1980-81
The first piece to attract my attention was this piece by Frank Auerbach, the first things about it was the fact that despite only being simple marks, from a distance they resemble a complex scene. The layers of paint were applied like impasto, instead of removing the layers of oil paint he wasn't happy with, Auerbach painted thicker layers to cover it. I found the way in which the aspects of lines resemble the scene work well together.The way the colours worked together despite not really having a theme also seemed inspiring to me, finding the overall composition extremely effective.

The Chariot Race- Alexander Von Wagner 1882
This large piece attracted my attention due to the pure intricacy of the design, featuring a scene of gladiators racing horses in a Colosseum, with additional detail added to even the audience's facial features. I like the way that Wagner has captured the action and adventure of this historical scene, due to the date of the piece, it is clear the painter was not present at any event such as this, but yet managed to capture the event in such beautiful detail, I find it very inspiring that Wagner has managed to successfully capture the action of the scene without even being in that era.

Homer- about 1800-3- William Blake 1757-1827
I found this piece caught my attention due to the detail and contrasts in white and blue tones, looking extremely effective as a whole I like the way the greek figure (Greek poet Homer) and the media used looked effective with the neutral tones shining through. I like the fact that Blake always paints his fellow poets, suggesting that perhaps Homer is his muse, inspiring his own poetry, like society's celebrities.

Porca Miseria! Chandelir 2004- Designed and Constructed by Ingo Mailner
This 3D piece really drew my eye in, as it used objects that would be used in everyday life, to represent a chandlier, which I think was a beautiful construction, and was elevated in such a beautiful and intricate way.  The way the objects were elevated casting interesting shadows, almost like an elevated explosion.
I like the fact that Ingo represents that any objects can be manipulated into representing something else entirely.

My Favourite Piece
A Spate in the Highlands 1866- Peter Graham
This piece was ultimately my favourite, not just for the representation of a landscape in the Highlands, or the use of negative space and muddy tones, but the fact that the landscape was so well thought out to match the famous poem by Robert Burns that the piece is actually based on. (Afton Water- Robert Burns) 
'Flow gently, sweet Afton, among thy green braes, Flow gently, I'll sing thee a song in thy praise; My Mary's asleep by thy murmuring stream, Flow gently, sweet Afton, disturb not her dream.'
(http://www.scottishpoetrylibrary.org.uk/poetry/poems/afton-water)
 I feel that the whole effect of making a melodic piece in honour of a poet was a beautiful collaboration. I found myself looking at the piece for a long while and peering into the centre where the river is flowing, and it very much has a three dimensional aspect to it, with the exploration of colour and tonal depth.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment