Whitewall Art Gallery Chester

Outside of the Whitewall, Chester
Whitewall Gallery Visit
Over reading week, I've visited the Whitewall Art Gallery in Chester, where they have a range of art forms, in a nice space around the city centre. I liked the various forms of colour and media that are shown within the gallery and within the alternate pieces.
 The actual layout of the art gallery was well kept I think, with the more surreal art together whereas the landscape and urban paintings and pieces were on the parallel side of the gallery. I loved the aspect of movement that was within the composition of the pieces in the gallery, although each piece had it's own energy there were a few that really appealed to me, as looking at them, they seemed to show movement within a stationary form, something I was pretty interested with as I could imagine the piece animating before my eyes, and this was pretty successfully thought out by the artist in showing an aspect of movement.

My Favourite Artwork
Paul Kenton
London- Paul Kenton
One of my favourite artists that featured within the exhibit was Paul Kenton, an artist originally from Derby who likes to capture movements and energies of certain people and places through his art work, he particularly enjoys visiting cities as these reflect a lot of movement and colours that reflect the energy that can be contained within his work.
Paul Kenton uses an aspect of paints, inks and varnishes to add streaks of what seems to be movement and light, something that appealed to me as I think it beautifully shows the energy and movement of each of his pieces to reflect the city he has captured within the piece.

There is also the aspect of dark outlines that are then enhanced by small aspects of colour, something I think is a very successful aspect of enhancing the movement and energy. Personally I can see these urban landscapes being animated especially the New York piece that I viewed within the Whitehall Exhibit. The New York piece really enhances the energy that New York represents and I think this is one of my favourite pieces that I saw within the gallery, especially after having visited New York myself, it really gave an insight into the energy that needed to be captured in the aspect of Times Square and the reflections and track lines he has shown.
New York Piece By Paul Kenton

Tom Butler
Paris, Tom Butler
 An additional artist I found appealing was Tom Butler, who uses a mixture between collage and paintwork media, particularly this piece of the Eiffel Tower in Paris, which I found was a beautiful autumnal blend of colours and successfully effective use of collage with paint. Alike to Kenton, Butler captures an energetic feel to the city particularly with the text and colourful element that the collage pieces represents.




No comments:

Post a Comment