Interactive Illustration Animation Book

By Virgilio Viloresi & Virginia Marci


When browsing through a very inspirational site: thisiscolossal.com I was able to come across this effective use of a serrated material to manipulate the eye into thinking that an image is moving, therefore being quite a primary way of animating something, which I personally love. I like the physical element behind the technique, and the fact that it allows us to question what animation truly is, and such manipulation is a good example of this, the artists manipulate the viewer's eye into the thought that there is movement. I also believe it's a quite refreshing edge to have to a book, and an exciting installation when filmed too.
The illustrations themselves retain a gothic sort of style, which I believe adds to the overall ambience that this technique helps to develop, an almost edgy, black and white jerky TV sort of feel is something I get from the technique, and I think this works beautifully as a book and with the physical aspects that this then presents to the viewer.
As a film, as the camera views the images as they progress, I think the editing of the video to have the sound effects to add to the animation definitely produces again, that television effect, with the stark piano sounds and creaking noises etc. I can image such a prospect being produced into a larger scale piece, not just a book but a large installation with a similar material usage but all double the size, allowing a completely different experience, something that could maybe viewed in a cinema type of set up?

No comments:

Post a Comment