Flow- Portfolio Crit

Flow is a studio that had really interested me after being recommended by Emma Reynolds (who supports illustration) to look at their Showreel. They produce a diverse range of work but very lively and fun.
Karl who is one of the Motion Designers in the team spoke about how fun and passion are the main qualities they look for in work. The projects that they enjoy are ones that they are most likely to initiate more interest in.
Karl was very helpful and I found that it was a good opportunity to ask him to look at my first attempt at a showreel in order to see how a professional would view it.

Showreel feedback
I explained how the pacing of my showreel had to reflect the gradual pacing of my work and how I was struggling with such a thing, however he was really helpful and said that it's not so much about being a snappy and quick showreel but very much about the edit and the overall effect that the animations have in co-operation with the soundtrack used.
He suggested maybe taking out the filmed parts unless I wanted to pursue filming he didn't find them relevant, however liked the general edit and found the depth of field of my collage animations along with the song effective, but said I could maybe lengthen some of the collage sections.
He also explained how with their own showreel that they only put 2 clips from each animation in the showreel so they're not showing too much and there's a more diverse range of work. He recommended that 5 seconds should be the maximum amount of time a clip is shown for as people do get impatient and bored.
There are a few parts that he recommends clipping and making shorter and says that generally they don't like showreels that are more than 1 minute, so mine needs cutting down slightly from 1.30.

Memory Book Animation
I managed to slow down and improve the sound effects of this animation which I believed makes it more effective. Karl asked two of the other designers (both called Jordan) to help to view the pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment