Setting Up & Filming


Setting Up the Crimeboards
Now that I have successfully produced all the props and evidence for the crime board, I started to arrange the pieces onto the board and set up the filming. In order for a good form of filming, I have decided to use the camera on a fixed runner, allowing me to zoom into the elements on the board without using the zoom tools on the camera itself.
The composition of the crime board is important, I have planned where the shot will be at the end of the logo reveal which is the bottom left of the crime board, so I have to be careful as to where I position the pieces on the board in order to not distract the audience's attention off the logo that will begin to form throughout the line elements that are on the board.
In addition to this, I also wanted each element to look believable, and alike my research that I looked into on crime boards and crime dramas in order to have evidence to support the documents I produced. The bits I produced on the board are shown below, each with informed details and influence from crime dramas that I'd seen myself:

  • Mugshots- taken of my two friends, one playing the 'victim' and the other the 'suspect' in the case that is developing on the crime board.
  • Witness Statements and forms- I printed off some authentic witness statement forms and got my peers to fill them in with genuine stories to allow the authenticity to shine through, it's important for me to do so in my pieces.
  • Fingerprint records- I actually collected some of my friends fingerprints using an ink pad and paper and then transferred these prints onto original fingerprint documents for my own authenticity in the work.
Each element I think although intricate and time consuming, adds to the overall appearance of the work and makes it most effective. Proportion was also important in this project, as I wanted it to look like the pieces on the crime board were larger scale, so I did some intricate notions such as making the receipts etc scaled down to look more in proportion to the rest of the documents on the board, adding continuity and authenticity to the piece well. I had previously made a prototype of the crime board as this helped me to develop further as to what I'd need to include and change for the final crime board.

Filming
I really enjoyed the aspect of filming the set I created, as the measurements of the zoom etc worked brilliantly, however there were some problems I had to work around such as bad lighting as this would make the text and photographs appear grainy on the film which let down the quality of the footage in general. I did two different shoots, one with natural light and the other with artificial lighting that was applied and I much preferred the extra lighting as this really enhanced the text rather than making it blurry.
I also encountered a problem with the size of the push pins in the piece as these when on camera were found to not be in proportion to the rest of the pictures and images, so I changed them for sewing pins as these were a lot smaller and easier to work with.


No comments:

Post a Comment