Laser Cutting Experimentation

Rick is introducing us to the aspect of laser cutting, a technique I have never approached in practice, I'm looking forward to the approach to this method to see whether it inspires any ideas in evolution of this project.
Before selecting something to try out on the laser cutter, I decided to look into some existing artists that I could refer to, these artists have helped to inspire how to acquire new skills and how to approach the technique.

Gabriel Schama
During the process of researching some existing artists who develop the laser cutting technique, I came across this artist who works primarily with the laser cutting technique. I personally adore Mandala geometric patterns and shapes, so favoured this artist when I came across him on the internet, I was drawn to the abstract layers that ultimately and beautifully build up into mostly portraits or mandala-esque designs.
The artist who has his own laser cutter, mostly produces geometric patterns, which he then works on to build up into more intricate layering up.
 If I were to use the laser cutting method, I think the aspect of layering up numerous cuts to produce an outcome is definitely something that I personally would strive towards.

The most eye-catching pieces he produces for me, seems to be the beautiful silhouette style portraits he produced, where the outline is filled in with intricate layers of laser cut wood. I personally really like this idea, but it reminded me of the audio I produced of my Mum talking about the death of her father, a very powerful piece of audio, which I think I could elaborate on in this way. However, I'd like to approach the audio in a more metaphorical way, maybe with cogs turning in the head, making things as if they are 'Running Like Clockwork' a metaphor, as she begins the audio speaking about her thinking it was like another day.

 In addition to this, I looked into the aspect of using the laser cutter to build up layers, and found this short clip on a professor who explores how intricate you can go with the aspects of laser cutting, something I think is more effective.


Virginia Tech: Eric Standley from VirginiaTech on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment