Sudbury Hall Museum of Childhood

I chose to visit the Museum of Childhood at Sudbury Hall today, as part of the research for my Dissertation as well as my current project. For my dissertation I felt that the visit could help me to show how the education system and your upbringing within childhood effected creativity, and to see the changes within history. In addition to this, I also wanted to collect some research as to what childhood memories I should show within my project, and what sort of toys my Grandma would've played with etc. I think that this is a great experience for both of these subjects.
I found it fascinating that despite the education system in their museum going back into Victorian times, I noticed that not an awful lot has changed. The educational side of things was based entirely on reading, writing and arithmetic, and then introductions of the sciences. Whereas, the Art & Design aspect interestingly wasn't around till later on. The drawing side of things also was used more as a visual aid more than anything else to help certain individuals learn.
It almost seemed ironic that although Art wasn't seen as a real subject, it was used to illustrate and teach other subjects in the education system.
As well as finding information about what best toys etc. I found some aesthetic material that I can compare to my own project.

No comments:

Post a Comment